Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Slice of Kristin Gotch

        Kristin Gotch likes blank pages and fresh starts.
Gotch is from Idaho Falls, Idaho.  She is currently a senior studying English and Journalism at the University of the Cumberlands.
       Gotch likes Kentucky, but she misses Idaho.
“I was reading an article on the ‘seven wonders of Idaho,” said Gotch, “It included places such as the Snake River and Craters of the Moon.  When I was younger, my family and I frequently visited these places. I started taking them for granted. Now that I’m so far away, I have discovered how important Idaho is to me.” 
        After graduating, Gotch hopes to study poetry in the MFA program at Eastern Washington University. She plans to teach creative writing.
She enjoys poets such as Lawrence Ferlinghetti and e.e. cummings.   “Don’t let that horse” is Gotch’s favorite Ferlinghetti poem.
      “The poem is about an artist that won’t give up.  I want to have that kind of confidence and courage in my writing,” said Gotch.
       Gotch is the editor of her college newspaper, The Patriot.  She became interested in journalism after reading “Ana’s Story” by Jenna Bush. 
      “I was heart-broken by this story about a girl with AIDS. It put a face to an epidemic,” said Gotch.
       Gotch is currently enrolled in Introduction to Journalism.
      “I think it will be good to re-learn the basics,” said Gotch.
       Gotch enjoys listening to music while she works.  She recently added Vampire Weekend’s cover of Bruce Springsteen’s “I’m Going Down,” Sleigh Bells’ album “Treats” and a live recording of “Kill the Messenger” by Jack’s Mannequin to her iPod.  
      Gotch finds that she has little time to watch movies, but she recently watched “The Kings Speech” and “Batman Begins.” 
      “I enjoyed “The Kings Speech” because it was emotional, yet hilarious.  I fell asleep during “Batman Begins,” said Gotch.
      At the end of the day, Kristin Gotch just loves being alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment